East Port Angeles home damaged by chimney fire
Click here to zoom...
Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News
Port Angeles firefighters work to determine the extent of a chimney fire that spread into the adjoining attic of a house at 1603 E. Fifth St. in Port Angeles on Wednesday afternoon.

By Rob Ollikainen
Peninsula Daily News

PORT ANGELES — A chimney fire damaged a two-story Port Angeles home on 1603 E. Fifth St. earlier this week.

The Port Angeles Fire Department on Wednesday knocked down an upstairs wall to extinguish the smoldering blaze before it spread.

Fire Chief Ken Dubuc estimated that the fire caused “a couple thousand dollars'” worth of damage.

No one was injured.

“It was a chimney pipe that extended up from the bottom floor through the second floor and then up through the roof,” Dubuc said.

“The pipe had gotten hot and caused some smouldering on the inside of the building itself.”

After the blaze was extinguished, residents were able to stay in the home.

Crews were dispatched to the east-side residence at 4:09 p.m.

Owner efforts

The owner was spraying water on the roof with a garden hose when firefighters arrived.

Firefighters extended a ladder to the roof, knocked down an inside wall and pulled sheetrock to access the blaze.

Two fire engines and eight firefighters responded.

Dubuc said it's a good idea to have chimneys inspected on a regular basis.

________

Reporter Rob Ollikainen can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 5072, or at rollikainen@peninsuladailynews.com.

Last modified: January 24. 2013 5:57PM
Reader Comments
Local Business
Friends to Follow

To register a complaint about a comment, email moderator@peninsuladailynews.com and refer to the article and offending comment, or click here: REPORT ABUSE.

Peninsuladailynews.com comments are subject to the Peninsuladailynews.com User Policy.

From the PDN:




All materials Copyright © 2014 Black Press Ltd./Sound Publishing Inc. • Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyAssociated Press Copyright NoticeContact Us