Wind-power battery reignites at Port Angeles’ Landing mall
Firefighters tape off an area around the battery room where a small fire broke out this morning at The Landing mall in Port Angeles. -- Photo by Arwyn Rice/Peninsula Daily News
Peninsula Daily News
Print This | Email This
Most Popular this week
Logger treated after being hit by falling tree near Lake Ozette; Forks man killed earlier by swinging log identified by authorities
Firefighters were able to put out the fire, which involved a single industrial-sized battery, with a hand-held dry chemical extinguisher, said Fire Capt. Terry Reid.
The system was already isolated from the building and didn’t set off fire alarms in the rest of the commercial structure, Reid said.
The initial fire at the battery room on the northeast corner of the mall — linked to a wind-power system — burned for several hours Wednesday and resulted in the mall’s temporary closure and evacuation of the City Pier due to smoke being blown across the pier.
Last modified: July 08. 2013 1:42PM