One youth involved in City Pier assault sentenced to juvenile hall

Boy receives up to nine months; other set to appear Dec. 7

PORT ANGELES — The 15-year-old boy involved in the assault of a homeless man on City Pier has been sentenced to between four and nine months in juvenile detention with credit for 91 days of time served plus 12 months probation and an alcohol and drug evaluation.

The boy was sentenced Thursday for the assault that occurred Aug. 14.

He pleaded guilty to one count of rendering criminal assistance and two counts of fourth-degree assault. The sentences for all three charges are to be served concurrently.

The 17-year-old boy who was allegedly involved is scheduled to appear at 9 a.m. Dec. 7 in Clallam County Superior Court for a status hearing. He faces one count of first-degree robbery with a firearm enhancement.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

The two juveniles were arrested Aug. 15 and charged with assaulting an unhoused man on the Port Angeles City Pier and throwing his belongings in the harbor. The two allegedly posted a video filmed by the 15-year-old of the 17-year-old hitting the man and threatening him with what appeared to be a gun. The video was widely viewed on social media locally.

More than two dozen people, including the victim, were present in the courtroom when the two appeared via teleconference from the Clallam County Juvenile Detention Facility last week. The victim made no comment.

Security cameras on City Pier helped Port Angeles police identify the two juveniles after the alleged victim of the attack reported it to police on Aug. 14. The two were arrested just as the video allegedly filmed of the attack was shared on social media, according to Port Angeles Police Sgt. Kevin Miller.

Miller said the victim was sleeping on City Pier when he was awakened at 5 a.m. by being punched in the face and threatened with what he thought was a gun. The victim came to the police department at 2 p.m. that same day to report it, Miller said.

The man had suffered numerous bruises, but his injuries were non-life-threatening, Miller said.

Officers obtained city security video from the pier and gathered enough information to corroborate the victim’s story, Miller said.

A Gofundme campaign to help the victim with replacing his belongings and moving into permanent housing raised $12,475, well beyond its original goal of $875, and it has since been closed.

________

Reporter Brian Gawley can be reached at brian.gawley@peninsuladailynews.com.

More in Crime

Man to be arraigned in attempted murder investigation

Clallam County Superior Court Judge Brent Basden has set… Continue reading

Agencies arrest man who barricaded himself in an RV

Law enforcement officers from multiple agencies arrested a man in… Continue reading

Suspect arraigned on scam charges

Reportedly involved in three additional schemes

Man in custody after gun fired at park

A Port Angeles man was booked into Clallam County… Continue reading

Second suspect arrested in elaborate scam

A second suspect has been arrested in connection with… Continue reading

Task force arrests man on investigation of drug, weapons offenses

A Port Angeles man has been arrested on investigation… Continue reading

The state Department of Fish and Wildlife seized 1,400 pounds of green sea urchins like these in January that were illegally harvested and offloaded in Port Angeles. A wholesale shellfish company located in the Interstate 5 corridor and the harvester are likely facing fines for a number of infractions, including failing to report the catch. (Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife)
Company probed for urchin harvest

WDFW: No record of 1,400-pound catch

Deputies: Sting results in arrest in complex scam

Sequim woman provides total of $125,000, Sheriff’s Office says

Port Angeles man arrested after vehicle pursuit

A vehicle pursuit through Clallam County and Port Angeles… Continue reading

Murder trial rescheduled for October

Both sides waiting for forensic testing results

Two investigated for possession of controlled substance

Two Sequim residents were arrested on investigation of possession… Continue reading

Two men are now serving prison time for beating an employee last October at the AM/PM in Carlsborg and attempting to take his wallet. Joshua Pulliam, 28, pleaded guilty on Dec. 18 to conspiracy to commit first-degree burglary and will serve a year in prison, while Julian Treat, 30, pleaded guilty Jan. 21 and was sentenced to two years in prison. (Matthew Nash/Olympic Peninsula News Group)
Second man pleads guilty to Carlsborg AM/PM burglary

Two-year sentence includes drug treatment, mental health evaluation