Port Angeles Harbor cleanup plan inches toward public review

PORT ANGELES — The private and public entities held responsible by the state Department of Ecology for cleaning up contaminated sediment on the bottom of Port Angeles Harbor could have a draft agreement on how to proceed ready for public review by mid-March, an Ecology official said.

Rebecca Lawson, Ecology’s southwest region toxics-cleanup manager, said during a Port Angeles Business Association breakfast meeting Tuesday that the potentially liable parties Ecology has named in the cleanup are close to a draft agreed order that would set the stage for the next step in the cleanup process — which would include deciding how much each party pays.

Ecology has determined the city, Port of Port Angeles, Nippon Paper Industries USA, Georgia Pacific, forestry company Merrill & Ring and the state Department of Natural Resources all bear some responsibility in cleaning up contaminants found at the bottom of the western portion of the harbor during an Ecology study that wrapped up last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
0 seconds of 0 secondsVolume 0%
Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcuts
00:00
00:00
00:00
 

The 30-day public comment period for the draft agreed order, a legal agreement between the parties involved, could start as early as March 15, Lawson said.

“It could push into April, but we’re very close to having an agreement on the agreed order,” Lawson said after the meeting.

About 50 area business owners and resident turned out to hear Lawson speak, all but filling one of the larger seating areas of Joshua’s Restaurant on DelGuzzi Drive.

Details of process

The agreed order would allow Ecology and the six potentially liable parties to begin studying how much harbor sediment needs to be removed, what work that would entail and what effects such efforts would have on the surrounding environment and harbor itself, Lawson explained.

Lawson estimated this process, called the remedial investigation and feasibility study, could last until the end of 2014.

The earliest that the cleanup could start would be 2015, Lawson added, though she said the most realistic estimate is 2016.

Lawson fielded questions on how extensive the cleanup process will be and what disturbing the contaminated sediment at the bottom of the western harbor would do to the animals living there.

Bill Roberds, a resident and frequent harbor scuba diver, asked what would be done to minimize the spread of contaminated sediment throughout the harbor via strong currents.

“What bothers me is that we’re going to kill that entire harbor if we start kicking stuff up,” Roberds said.

Lawson said multiple measures exist for cleaning sediment from the bottom of harbors and preventing its spread, such as large silt curtains deployed around where sediment would be disturbed, and that such concerns would be addressed in the feasibility study.

“Your point is a very good one,” Lawson told Roberds at the meeting.

Ecology’s study found that the harbor sediment contained pollutants, such as arsenic and mercury, associated with past industrial activities.

Rayonier site

At the meeting, Lawson also addressed the ongoing cleanup process on the former mill site owned by Rayonier Inc. east of downtown Port Angeles.

Lawson said Rayonier has completed collecting data on what contaminants exist on the upland area of the site and is in the process of doing the same for the marine portion.

The deadline for the marine data report is March 18, Lawson added.

“We do have a schedule, and we’re working through it,” she said.

________

Reporter Jeremy Schwartz can be reached at 360-452-2345, ext. 5074, or at jschwartz@peninsuladailynews.com.

More in News

Boating coach Eric Lesch, at a whiteboard, explains sailing techniques to a youth sailboat class. (Keith Thorpe/Peninsula Daily News)
Teenagers learning boating skills through program

Nonprofit funded by grants, agencies and donations

Land trust successful with campaign fund

Public access expected to open this year

Mark Hodgson.
Hodgson plans to run for Port Angeles City Council

Schromen-Wawrin, who currently holds seat, won’t run again

Pet vaccination clinic set for Saturday in Port Townsend

Pet Helpers of Port Townsend will conduct a pet… Continue reading

Charter Review Commission to conduct town hall Monday

The Clallam County Charter Review Commission will conduct a… Continue reading

Alexander Hamilton.
Clallam deputies graduate from state training center

Corrections deputies Alexander Hamilton and Cameron Needham have graduated… Continue reading

Parker Brocious, 6, from Cedar Hills, Utah, studies tubs containing plankton, krill and other small ocean creatures used by the Port Townsend Marine Science Center for education purposes while on a road trip with his family on Tuesday at Fort Worden State Park. Parker’s father Tyler is at left. (Steve Mullensky/for Peninsula Daily News)
Science education

Parker Brocious, 6, from Cedar Hills, Utah, studies tubs containing plankton, krill… Continue reading

Port Angeles approves lodging tax fund requests

Vacancy on committee brings legal questions

OMC hires family medicine physician

Dr. Calvin Kuo will join hospital in August

Colton Dufour, left, and his mom Cherie Tachell. (Cherie Tachell)
Boy seriously injured following hit-and-run

Condition is stable, but more testing underway for Sequim teenager

Applications open for Forks council seat

The Forks City Council is accepting applications to fill a… Continue reading